Senior Yoga Teacher (SYT)
Senior Yoga Teacher's are the pinnacle of the yoga teacher career path combining training and experience. This is a similar status to what Yoga Alliance USA refer to as an E-RYT (Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher), but is set to a much higher standard, requiring at least 8 years of teaching experience to qualify.
What it means to be a Senior Yoga Teachers:
- You are running a Teacher Training Course: register it with us! This is a condition from Yoga Alliance UK when you register as a SYT - If your teacher Training course does not meet our standards, it is compulsory to label your TTC: "our Teacher Training Course is not accredited by Yoga Alliance UK".
- Your Workshops will be approved as CPD's
In addition to your own page to promote your classes and workshops, the aim at Yoga Alliance UK is to help you promote and grow your business as a yoga teacher.
How much is it to join?
Pricing is simple:
First you must determine whether the school you trained with is registered with Yoga Alliance UK (RYS). For the list of all schools, please take a look here.
You have three options available to you for your membership.
1) Membership Only - If you already have insurance elsewhere and do not require our insurance.
RYS - £66.00
Non-RYS - £91.00
2) Membership + Yoga Insurance - This includes insurance for you to teach yoga to all audiences. You will need to have completed a 200 hour course as a minimum to qualify for this. If you require insurance cover for children's or pregnancy yoga, you will need to have completed specific training in this and submit your certificates to us.
RYS - £84.00
Non-RYS - £109.00
3) Membership + Yoga + Therapies Insurance - This includes cover to all audiences and also includes cover for additional therapies. You will need to provide certificates for therapies insurance.
Please take a look on the 'Full List of Activities' here.
RYS - £104.00
Non-RYS - £125.00
YAUK Insurance Cover: This covers you to teach yoga if you are based and working int he UK. Our insurance is provided by Towergate Professional Risk, it covers you for up to £5 million indemnity and if you are teaching overseas for up to 120 days of the year. For further information on this, please take a look here.
The costing is the same as above for the UK with an additional £10 on each membership due to insurance being more expensive in Ireland than the UK.
Upgrade to SYT from a lower level
If you are current member and believe you are eligible to upgrade to Senior Yoga Teacher click the button below (please read the adjacent column to check that you qualify)
Do I Qualify to Apply?
There are three routes by which you can qualify to join as a SYT
- I have a 200 Hour certificate and experience as a yoga teacher
- I have a 500 Hour certificate and experience as a yoga teacher
- I do not have a certificate but I have a lot of teaching experience
You have a 200 Hour certificate and teaching experience
There are 3 possibilities by which you can qualify:
- You trained with a Yoga Alliance UK trainer- auto acceptance - see our list
- Your trainer is not registered with Yoga Alliance UK but still meets our standards - please contact us.
- I have a minimum of 8 years and 4000 hours of teaching experience since getting my 200 Hour certificate.
You have a 500 Hour certificate and teaching experience
There are 2 possibilities by which you can qualify:
- You trained with a Yoga Alliance UK trainer -auto acceptance- see our list
- Your trainer was not Yoga Alliance approved but the course met our standards.
- I have a minimum of 4 years and 3000 hours of teaching experience since getting my 500 Hour certificate.
You do NOT have a certificate but lots of teaching experience
- You have a minimum of 10 years and 6000 hours teaching experience.
- Please note- you can only apply purely on experience alone if you have been teaching since prior to the start of 2001, if you have started teaching after this date at least a 200 Hour teaching certificate is obligatory.
(the option of applying based on experience alone was initially set up to accommodate teachers who have had extensive teaching experience over many years, at a time when teacher training courses were not so readily available)
Do NOT qualify as teaching experience: either one to one class or home teaching class if not publicly advertised